Skip to Content
Call or Text Today! 703-520-7571
Change of Status I-539

Form 1-539 How Much Would it Cost to Extend or Change Your Visa Status

Form I-539 Attorney Alexandria VA

People coming into the U.S. temporarily are issued with non-immigrant visas. These visas allow foreigners to be in the country for a specified time for a specific purpose.

However, if such a visa is nearing its expiry, and you are not done with your stay, you can apply for a change of visa status, or to get an extension on your visa.

This is done via a document known as Form 1-539.

Are you in the U.S on a temporary visa and eager to know your options? Below is a complete guide to help you with this process. If you have questions, please reach out online or call (703) 520-7571 today and we would be happy to assist you!

Hear From Our Happy Clients

At Mughal Law Firm, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.

    "Second to None"
    The team at Mughal Law Firm has been my only source for immigration advice and services for the last three years, and I have been extremely satisfied with my results.
    - Merwyn R.
    "Wish I Found Him Sooner"
    Muhgal Law Office was a breeze to work with, and I recommend them for business services.
    - Jasmine
    "5-Star Service"
    Mr. Shawn Mughal is not your typical lawyer. He is super personable, friendly, and knowledgeable. He is my “go-to” resource for all legal advice. I rate him 5 STARS across the board for his service, knowledge, and professionalism.
    - M. Parker
    "Great Overall Experience"
    I have nothing but positive things to say about Attorney Shawn Mughal. He’s helped me beat both my cases with results only a true Attorney with his expertise would be able to accomplish.
    - Kat A.
    "Prompt, professional, and truly there for you."
    Mughal Law Firm was prompt, professional, and knowledgeable. They supported me throughout the process, explaining everything clearly and answering all my questions. Their honesty and realism about my options were refreshing. Highly recommended for reliable results!
    - Annam M.

When Is This Application Made?

Often, people wait until their current permit expires to make an application for an extension or to attempt to change their status. This is a mistake.

This application should be filed before your current authorized stay expires.

As much as possible, make the application as soon as you realize you need to stay longer. The most advisable timeline is to apply 45 days before your current visa expires.

You might be excused if:

  • Your delay resulted from circumstances beyond your control. Note that you might have to provide details and evidence this in your application
  • You have not violated your status in any other ways for example, by committing a crime
  • You’re not entangled in removal proceedings
  • Your delay is not unreasonably long
  • your passport is valid and will be valid for the duration of your entire stay (including the extended duration)

Ensure to keep records of your application. This comes in handy when issues arise with the authorities.

Helping Unite Families Since 2013

Why Choose Mughal Law Firm?
  • Client Centered Approach
    Our solutions are tailored to your specific objectives and needs.
  • Providing Service in Spanish
    Immigration help provided by a Spanish-speaking team.
  • We Only Handle Immigration
    We're exclusively focused on handling immigration cases.
  • Virtual Consultation Available
    Meet with our immigration lawyers during a virtual consultation!

What Is Required to Change Status/ Extend Stay?

Applications made by certain A and G non-immigrant visa applicants are free. All other applicants pay $370 depending on their current status and the new status they seek to acquire.

A and G non-immigrant visa holders comprise of employees of international organizations, diplomats, government officials, and so on.

When biometrics are required, an applicant also pays an $85 biometric fee. V non-immigrants and CW-2 non-immigrant require to have their biometrics taken.

The V non-immigrant visa is issued to allow families to stay together as their immigrant visas are processed.

The CW-2 non-immigrant visa, on the other hand, is given to dependents of people who are in the U.S. on an only transitional worker visa.

Applicants can also fill in Form 1-192 to apply for waivers.

You will also require to have:

  • Copy of your passport’s identity page
  • Front and back copies of your latest 1-94 card (this is an arrival/departure record)
  • A copy of your most current non-immigrant visa as indicated on the passport
  • Paystubs form current authorized employer or a letter from an employer confirming employment
  • For dependents, documents showing proof of the relationship, for example, birth certificates for spouses and birth certificated for children
  • You also need to show approval notices and paystub copies when changing from a work-authorized status

Go about your 1-539 application in a stress-free manner by letting the experts handle it. Contact us at Mughal Law firm or call (703) 520-7571 and let us do what we do best.

Continue Reading Read Less

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
Office Location