Skip to Content
Call or Text Today! 703-520-7571

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Green Card

Green Card Visa

Report It

Reporting the missing green card to authorities ASAP. Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and immediately let them know your situation. The form I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card can be submitted online or through mail.

Compile Documents

In order to speed up the replacement process, make sure you have all the required paperwork before starting the application. This usually includes any relevant immigration documentation in addition to identity documentation like a passport or driver’s license, and a copy of the green card. Furthermore, be ready to give information regarding the loss or theft of your green card.

Complete Form I-90

Your lifeline in the process of replacing your green card is form I-90. Make sure to fill out the form completely and correctly, making sure to double-check for any mistakes. When answering questions be honest and open-minded since giving false information can lead to delays and more issues.

Turn Application In

After completing form, I-90 and gathering all important paperwork, it’s time to send in your form. If submitting online follow the important guidelines on the USCIS website and use electronic funds to pay any relevant costs. Alternatively, if you plan on mailing your application make sure it is properly sealed and mail it to the USCIS address provided.

Future Reference

Although losing your green card can be a terrifying experience, you must always be careful to protect your immigration records going forward. Important documents should be kept in a safe place, and you should take cautious steps to protect against future loss or theft.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Website

Visit the official USCIS website ( to access Form I-90, monitor the status of your application, and get full instructions for replacing a lost or stolen green card.

Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

The USCIS website offers a download for this form. You can fill it out and submit it electronically or print it out if submitting by mail.

USCIS Customer Service Center and Legal Assistance

Contact the USCIS Customer Service Center for help if you need it or if you have any issues regarding your application. Contact details are listed on the USCIS website.

If you seek legal advice, get in touch with an immigration attorney today.